Compendium of Good Practices:
Harnessing Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS)
in Conflict, Emergencies and Fragile Settings
12 April 2021
The Compendium of Good Practices: Harnessing Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS) in Conflict, Emergencies and Fragile Settings is now available online in English and French. A special event on 14 April with a distinguished panel of speakers marks the formal launch.
Developed by the Centre of Excellence for Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS) Systems in partnership with ODW, the Compendium highlights successful experiences in building effective CRVS systems to ensure those most in need are counted and can access services. It provides examples of CRVS when responding to natural disasters, safeguarding gender equality during conflict, protecting rights of refugees and migrants, ensuring proper death registration of all, and combatting COVID-19.
A collection of Compendium papers provides an overview of CRVS in conflict and emergency settings. Case studies spotlight experiences in a wide range of countries: Brazil, Ecuador, New Zealand, South Korea, Syria and Iraq, and Vanuatu.
- Key messages / Messages clés
- Overview: Harnessing Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS) Systems in Conflict, Emergencies and Fragile Settings
- Building resilient CRVS systems: Lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic and other emergencies By Carmen Sant Fructman, Anna Socha, Laura Monzón Llamas, Carla AbouZahr, Irina Dincu and Daniel Cobos Muñoz
- Civil registration: Maintaining international standards in emergenciesBy Srdjan Mrkić
- Where There Is No CRVS: Counting and Registering Deaths in Conflict, Emergencies, and Fragile Settings By Carla AbouZahr, Laura Monzón Llamas, Carmen Sant Fruchtman, and Daniel Cobos Muñoz
- Applying a “Systems Lens”: CRVS and Fragility in the Digital Age By Lauren Harrison and Liliana Suchodolska
- Alternative Information Sources on Deaths in Brazil in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic By Everton E. C. Lima, Marcos R. Gonzaga, Flávio H. M. de A. Freire, and Bernardo L. Queiroz (disponível em português)
- The Burial of Unidentified People in Rio de Janeiro: The Disappearance of People in the State Bureaucracy By Alexandre Trece, Cláudio Machado, and Raquel Chrispino (disponível em português)
- Strategies for Dealing with the Challenges of COVID-19 to Ecuador’s Civil Registration System By Vicente Andres Taiano Gonzalez, Gustavo Pedroso de Lima Brusse, and Vinícius Souza Maia (disponible en espagñol)
- COVID-19 and CRVS in New Zealand: The Show Must Go On By Jeff Montgomery
- The Role of CRVS in Estimating COVID-19-related Excess Deaths in South Korea By Eunkoo Lee, Seokmin Lee, and Tanja Brøndsted Sejersen
- Documenting Life and Death: Women’s Experiences During Conflict in Syria and Iraq By Martin Clutterbuck
- Mitigating the impact of Natural Hazards on Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Systems: The case of Vanuatu By Gloria Mathenge, Benuel Lenge, Joemela Simeon, Carah Figueroa, Christine Linhart , and Ana Janet Sung