OPEN DATA WATCH IS OFFERING* A
Short-Term Research Position
UPDATE: Positions filled. Applications are no longer being accepted.
Open Data Watch (ODW) is a Washington, DC-based, nonprofit organization promoting open data and the improvement of development statistics in countries and international agencies. ODW is seeking dynamic and self-motivated researchers to work closely with team members on one of our main research endeavors, the Open Data Inventory (ODIN). ODIN is an in-depth assessment of national statistical systems of 175+ countries.
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Researcher, otherwise known as ODIN Assessor, is responsible for conducting assessments on the coverage and openness of the statistics contained within the websites of national statistics offices (NSOs) using the ODIN scoring methodology. ODIN Assessors report to the ODIN Project Manager and will attend a two-day training prior to beginning work on May 31st and June 1st. Training will be paid, but travel expenses to the training are not covered.
Specific duties will include:
- Conduct assessments of a minimum of 25 countries for ODIN, as per our methodology.
- Identify relevant social, economic, and environmental statistical data sets within or connected to NSO websites.
- Provide support and documentation for statistical data coverage and openness via an online platform.
- Bachelor’s or higher in international development, economics, statistics, government, public policy, or other related field.
- Familiarity with international development and open data issues.
- Able to meet deadlines and agreed-upon results with high quality and attention to detail.
- Can seek knowledge needed to complete assignments and share knowledge with others.
- Ability to analyze facts and data to support decisions regarding own and others’ work.
- Proficiency with MS Office, (Word and Excel), Chrome, and Google Translate.
- Strong communication (reading, writing, speaking in English) skills.
- Ability to read other languages at high proficiency. For some positions, we need French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Japanese readers. Other languages will be considered.
- Applicants must be located in or near Washington, D.C.
- Must have a personal laptop to conduct work.
- Must be able to attend a training session in our DC office.
- Demonstrated research experience.
This is a short-term contract position. Each ODIN Assessor, depending on their skillset, will work on a minimum of 25 countries. Work will begin on May 31st (training) and be completed by August 31st. It is possible to complete assessments before this date if working more than full time. Work schedules are flexible. We ask that ODIN Assessors work from our office a couple days a week initially, but then they may work remotely, if desired.
Pay rate is $18/hour for English-readers and $20/hour for those who can read one of the languages listed above.
Though our methodology has changed, you can read last year’s Assessor Handbook here to get a sense of the nature of the work.
If interested, submit a cover letter and resume to the ODIN Project Manager at JamisonCrowell@opendatawatch.com by April 20th, 2017. Please put “ODIN Assessor Application” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted by phone.
* * * * *