|1110 Vermont Avenue
Washington, DC 20005 USA
OPEN DATA WATCH IS SEEKING
Senior Research Manager / Data Scientist
Please Note: Closing Date was April 30, 2019
Open Data Watch (ODW) is a nonprofit organization promoting open data and the availability of high-quality development statistics in countries and international agencies. ODW monitors and reports on the degree to which countries and agencies have succeeded in implementing open data policies and disseminating their data. Its Open Data Inventory (ODIN) is a widely used measure of the openness of official statistics. ODW also conducts research and provides guidance to strengthen countries or agencies’ data management and dissemination practices and supports or coordinates partnerships leading to improvements in statistical capacity.
ODW provides a rich environment for exploring emerging issues in the production and use of statistics for public decision making. To support the team, we are seeking a Senior Research Manager/Data Scientist to contribute to the following:
Duties and Accountabilities
- Coordinate research, innovation, and client engagement activities and represent ODW in partnership meetings and international conferences
- Develop technical project proposals, implementation plans, and oversee product delivery including written reports, data products, learning material, and presentations
- Propose new analytical techniques and methodologies for assessing data gaps, measuring data quality and openness, and analyzing patterns of data problems to propose solutions;
- Manage staff and consultants and their work programs
- Coordinate multiple projects, ensuring high quality and timely delivery
- Work with stakeholders to gather project requirements and provide project updates
- Assist with recruiting staff and consultants
- Oversee performance of complex analysis, report preparation, and presentations
- Must have strong experience using data mining/data analysis methods and the ability to present findings clearly to a wide variety of audiences
- Must have experience managing and supervising a research team with published results in the areas of international development, statistical methods, or data science
- Must have a proven ability to drive business results with data-based insights
- Must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams
- Have a passion for discovering solutions in data sets and working with stakeholders to improve outcomes
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in economics, statistics, or equivalent
- Five or more years post-graduate school work experience, preferably in a globally-focused organization with an interest and expertise in development data.
- Experience working with international organizations such as the UN, World Bank, or national agencies on statistical development projects
- Experience with data collection and analytical methods, including censuses, surveys, and administrative records
- Knowledge of international development and transparency initiatives
- Project management experience in grant-funded environments
- Excellent people skills, able to handle and resolve issues independently and with tact
- Ability to manage donor/client relations alongside a research team
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and experience using data analysis tools such as Stata, R, or other systems.
- Must have excellent English communications skills (reading, writing, speaking)
- Ability to travel frequently
- Location: This position will be based in Washington DC. The candidates must have prior authorization to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
- Contract Length: This is a full time, two-year appointment, which is renewable for longer periods, based on performance and available funding.
- Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
- Reports to: Director of Research and Managing Director
- To Apply: Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Research Manager”. We will contact only candidates whose profiles meet our requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.