|1110 Vermont Avenue
Washington, DC 20005 USA
OPEN DATA WATCH IS SEEKING
(full-time and part-time positions)
Please Note: Closing Date is 20 March 2020
Open Data Watch (ODW) is a Washington, DC-based, nonprofit organization promoting open data and the improvement of development statistics in countries and international agencies. ODW is seeking dynamic and self-motivated Research Assistants to work closely with team members on one of our main research endeavors, the Open Data Inventory (ODIN). ODIN is an in-depth assessment of open data in national statistical systems across 180 countries.
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Research Assistant, otherwise known as an ODIN Assessor, is responsible for conducting assessments of the coverage and openness of the statistics contained in the websites of national statistics offices (NSOs) using the ODIN scoring methodology. ODIN Assessors report to the ODIN Project Manager and will attend a two-day training the first week of April prior to beginning work. Training will be paid, but travel expenses to the training are not covered.
Specific duties will include:
- Conduct assessments of a minimum of 25 countries for ODIN, as per our
- Identify relevant social, economic, and environmental statistical data sets within or connected to NSO websites.
- Provide documentation of specific datasets regarding data coverage and openness via an online platform.
- Familiarity with searching and using development data, preferably from national sources with great attention to detail.
- Familiarity with international development and open data issues.
- Ability to meet deadlines and agreed-upon results with high quality and attention to detail.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Can seek knowledge needed to complete assignments and share knowledge with others.
- Ability to analyze facts and data to support decisions regarding own and others’ work.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word and Excel), Teams, Chrome, and Google Translate.
- Strong communication (reading, writing, speaking in English) skills.
- Some positions require high proficiency in reading languages other than English. We need French, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic readers. Other languages will also be considered.
- Academic coursework in international development, economics, statistics, government, public policy, or other related field considered helpful.
- Applicants must be located in or near Washington, D.C. Researchers can conduct most work remotely, but initially we ask assessors to schedule a few days after training in our office near Thomas Circle for extra guidance.
- Must have a personal laptop to conduct work.
- Must be able to attend a two-day training session in our DC office.
- Demonstrated research experience.
This is a short-term contract position. Each research Assistant, depending on their skillset, will work on a minimum of 25 countries. We need researchers who can work both full-time and part-time. Training is set to be held on April 9th-10th from be 9 am -5 pm. Regular work will begin on April 15th and be completed by June 15th. There may be an opportunity to continue work through August for those that excel and are available.
Pay rate is $18/hour for English-readers and $20/hour for those who can read an additional language.
If interested, submit a cover letter (in the email body) and resume to the ODIN Project Manager, Jamison Crowell, at JamisonCrowell@opendatawatch.com by March 20th, 2020. Please put “ODIN Assessor Application” in the subject line. In your cover letter, be sure to include:
- Why you are interested;
- What relevant experience you bring to the project;
- Demonstrate that you know what the project is and what the position entails;
- What months you are available and estimated available hours of work per week;